Injury, illness or recent surgery can limit an individual's ability to perform every day activities of daily living such as dressing, eating, grooming, bathing, homemaking, etc.
Occupational Therapy is the vital link to productive living.
Long Beach Medical Center’s occupational therapy program helps restore or improve functional movement, promotes independence in self-care and safety by providing a comprehensive program of traditional interventions and innovative technologies.
Our licensed occupational therapists provide personal attention, meaningful activities and specialized treatment techniques to improve strength, endurance, mobility and restore function as much as possible.
Each patient’s road to recovery begins with a thorough evaluation. Working with the patient and his or her family, an individualized treatment plan is developed to address the specific needs and goals of the patient and incorporate the most effective strategies for recovery. The patient’s progress is carefully monitored and the treatment plan is adjusted accordingly. The ultimate goal is to help a patient progress from unable to able or from able to more capable.
Treatment options include:
- Therapeutic exercises and purposeful activities to improve joint mobility, strength, endurance and level of function with everyday activities.
- Techniques to help minimize pain, stiffness, contracture, inflammation or re-injury.
- Cognitive rehabilitation.
- Orthotics/Splints for protection, positioning, correction for the upper extremities.
- Functional activities to help improve fine motor coordination or dexterity.
- Training in use of adaptive devices to maximize independence.
- Neuromuscular and/or sensory reeducation for patients with neurological diagnosis.
For more information regarding Occupational Therapy services at Long Beach Medical Center, please feel free to contact Melanie Frank-Hirsch, OTR, Director of Occupational Therapy at 516-897-1162.
Department of Occupational Therapy
at Long Beach Medical Center
455 E. Bay Drive
Long Beach, NY 11561