Melanie Frank-Hirsch,O.T.R., Director of Occupational Therapy
Linda Seidl, O.T.R., Occupational Therapy Supervisor
Treatment of Orthopedic Conditions
The Registered Occupational Therapists at Long Beach Medical Center’s Outpatient Occupational Therapy Department treat patients with a wide variety of orthopedic problems of the upper extremities, such as:
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Dupuytren’s Contracture
- Post Surgical Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- De Quervain Tenosynovitis
- Tendon injuries
- Trigger fingers
- Nerve injuries
- Frozen Shoulder
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Traumatic Injuries of the hand: Crushing Injuries and amputations
Our main focus is to maximize the patient’s ability to function. Treatment may include the following:
- Therapeutic exercises and activities: Use of equipment and techniques which have been specifically developed and selected for the injured or diseased body part.
- Splinting: Custom molded and/or pre-fabricated static and dynamic splints.
- Modalities: Fluidotherapy, whirlpool, paraffin, hot/cold packs.
- Adaptive Devices: Assortment of adaptive devices for training and recommendation.
- Patient Education: Variety of topics include Joint Protection Techniques, Splint Wear and Care, Home Exercise Program, Edema Reduction, etc.
- Scar Management: Techniques to help reduce the formation of keloids and adhesions using massage, pressure garments, Elastomer, etc. and desensitization techniques to reduce hypersensitivity of scars and/or amputation sites.
- Sensory Re-education: For peripheral nerve injuries to assist in return of sensation and reduce hypersensitivity,
- or compensatory techniques when sensory return is not anticipated.
A physician’s prescription indicating the diagnosis and recommended frequency of treatment is required for Occupational Therapy evaluation and treatment.
Monday – Friday, 9:00 A.M. – 5:00 PM
Additional hours can be arranged to accommodate patient.
Outpatient Occupational Therapy Services
455 East Bay Drive - 2nd floor East Wing of Medical Center
Long Beach, New York 11561
Phone: (516) 897 – 4300
Fax: (516) 897 – 4343